101 Cohort (1st Thursdays)
September 5, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
North by Northeast Community Health Center, 714 NE Alberta St., Portland Portland 97211
This 101 Learning Cohort is for you if you identify as “white” and are seeking to answer the questions “who am I as a white person and how am I socialized to fit in the world?”
If you are wanting to break the pattern of check-mark anti-racism workshops and are ready to dive deeper in your own anti-racism journey, this cohort is for you. Our cohorts meet once per month for six months, engage weekly homework assignments to keep us on track, and offer a way to build collective liberation from the dehumanization of white dominance.
You will find this cohort to be a uniquely collaborative method that moves past the guilt and shame of being white and holds you capable and able to join the movement to abolish white dominance. Come along! We have lots of work to do and no matter your current stage of learning, you will find yourself challenged and strengthened for the journey.
Before registering, please note:
- This 101 Learning Cohort will meet 6:00-9:00 pm the following dates: themes. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend all 6 of the in-person sessions. Doors open at 5:30 pm and you are encouraged to arrive as you need in order to share food, connect with others, and be ready for the session to being at 6:00 pm.
- September 5th: Identity
- October 3rd: Building Awareness And Connection
- November 7th: The Patterns Of White Dominance – Then And Now
- December 5th: Strategies To Identify And Interrupt White Dominance
- January 2nd: Developing A Healthy Relationship With Feedback
- February 6th: The Role Of White People In Abolition
- Weekly homework assignments are offered to build common memory and prepare us for upcoming discussions. You can expect to spend 1-3 hours per week on homework. If you aren’t able to attend to the homework, we still encourage you to attend the in-person session and return to the homework when you are able.
- Please bring a snack to share with others. We will provide plates, utensils, cups, and napkins.
- This cohort is a pre-requisite for attending a 201 Learning Cohort.
- Cost: $600 We recognize that not all white people hold economic privilege and we invite you to reach out to us if finances are a barrier to joining. We accept payment plans and offer several scholarships each cohort. We will not turn away anyone for lack of funds!
- Registration deadline: August 26th, 2019. Within a few days after the deadline, participants will be sent the prerequisite homework assignment and a login to the JORE website for homework discussion threads.