201 Cohort (1st Thursdays)
March 5 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
North by Northeast Community Health Center, 714 NE Alberta St., Portland Portland 97211
This 201 Learning Cohort is for you if you identify as “white” and are seeking an answer to the questions “what did I miss and what skills will I need to abolish white dominance?”
Building upon the 101 Learning Cohort, if you are ready to dive into some more nuanced topics and develop more skills to abolish white dominance, this cohort is for you. Our cohorts meet once per month for six months, engage weekly homework assignments to keep us on track, and offer a way to build collective liberation from the dehumanization of white dominance.
You will find this cohort to be a uniquely collaborative method that moves past the guilt and shame of being white and holds you capable and able to join the movement to abolish white dominance. Come along! We have lots of work to do and no matter your current stage of learning, you will find yourself challenged and strengthened for the journey.
Before registering, please note:
- This 201 Learning Cohort will meet 6:00-9:00 pm for the following dates: themes. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend all 6 of the in-person sessions. Doors open at 5:30 pm and you are encouraged to arrive as you need in order to share food, connect with others, and be ready for the session to begin at 6:00 pm. Note: themes are subject to change based upon group needs/interests.
- March 5th: Uprooted People, Uproot People
- April 2nd: Circle Of Influence
- May 7th: Leveling Up Our Skills
- June 4th: Racial Capitalism
- July 2nd: White Culture At Work
- August 6th: Repairing The Impact Of White Dominance
- Weekly homework assignments are offered to build common memory and prepare us for upcoming discussions. You can expect to spend 1-3 hours per week on homework. If you aren’t able to attend to the homework, we still encourage you to attend the in-person session and return to the homework when you are able.
- Please bring a snack to share with others. We will provide plates, utensils, cups, and napkins.
- This cohort is a pre-requisite for attending a 301 Learning Cohort.
- Cost: $600 We recognize that not all white people hold economic privilege and we invite you to reach out to us if finances are a barrier to joining. We accept payment plans and offer several scholarships each cohort. We will not turn away anyone for lack of funds!
- Registration deadline: February 6th, 2020. Within a few days after the deadline, participants will be sent the prerequisite homework assignment and a login to the JORE website for homework discussion threads.