CLOSED: Houston Cohort Launch (last Thursdays)
June 28, 2018 @ 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
North by Northeast Community Health Center, 714 NE Alberta St., Portland Portland 97211
This targeted cohort is for those who identify as “white” and who are raising children of color. This specific relationship provides a deeply personal snapshot of how race functions both on macro and micro levels, often at the painful experience of both child and parent. No parent wants to harm their children and it’s out of this foundational truth that we will engage together to examine the nuanced layer of how our white dominant programming impacts our children.
Before registering, please note:
- Targeted cohorts build upon the Learning Cohort model while also providing targeted inquiry into specific topics that support the group.
- This cohort will focus on community building: Every in-person session will meet for a potluck dinner from 5:30-6:00pm, followed by facilitated learning for adults from 6:00-8:00pm. Childcare will be provided.
- The Houston Cohort will meet the following dates: June 28th, July 26th, August 30th, September 27th, October 25th and November 29th. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend all 6 of the in-person sessions and engage in homework assignments in between sessions. Sessions are set for 3 hour blocks of time and meet once per month.
- A deposit of $100 is required to participate. As we lean into our values, we have chosen to operate our business in a way that practices an active rejection of capitalism. We trust participants of the cohorts to make the decision of how much to pay for the learning received. In our industry, the typical cost to participate in a learning cohort of this length and depth would be around $500-$800. We ask participants to balance the value of the learning personally received along with financial ability and support for our ongoing work. Participants are welcome to break up additional contribution over several payments, if desired. As a white facilitator, I’m conscious of concerns about me benefiting financially from this work. I am the only person in my immediate family that identifies as white and the income I make doing this work supports my family’s well-being. Additionally, I am a strong supporter of reparations and donate a minimum of 20% of all revenue to people of color outside of my family.
- Registration deadline for the Houston Cohort is June 13th, 2018. Within a few days after the deadline, participants will be sent the prerequisite homework assignment and an invitation to the online discussion group.