Portland Village School Cohort (2nd Mondays)
January 13, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Portland Village School, 7654 N Delaware Ave, Portland Portland 97217
This 101 Cohort is for those who identify as “white” and are seeking to answer the questions “who am I as a white person and how am I socialized to fit in the world?” This cohort is hosted by Portland Village School and will support the racial equity efforts of the school, however anyone from the public is welcome to attend!
If you are wanting to break the pattern of check-mark anti-racism workshops and are ready to dive deeper in your own anti-racism journey, this cohort is for you. Our cohorts meet once per month for six months, engage weekly homework assignments to keep us on track, and offer a way to build collective liberation from the dehumanization of white dominance.
You will find this cohort to be a uniquely collaborative method that moves past the guilt and shame of being white and holds you capable and able to join the movement to abolish white dominance. Come along! We have lots of work to do and no matter your current stage of learning, you will find yourself challenged and strengthened for the journey.
Before registering, please note:
- The Portland Village School Cohort will meet 6:00-9:00 pm the following dates: January 13th, February 10th, March 9th, April 13th, May 11th, and June 8th . Participants are strongly encouraged to attend all 6 of the in-person sessions. Doors open at 5:30 pm and you are encouraged to arrive as you need in order to share food, connect with others, and be ready for the session to being at 6:00 pm.
- Weekly homework assignments are offered to build common memory and prepare us for upcoming discussions. You can expect to spend 1-3 hours per week on homework. If you aren’t able to attend to the homework, we still encourage you to attend the in-person session and return to the homework when you are able.
- Please bring a snack to share with others. We will provide plates, utensils, cups, and napkins.
- Location: Basement of the Upper School, PVS, 7654 N Delaware Ave, Portland, OR 97217
- The Portland Village School Cohort is categorized as a 101 Learning Cohort and pre-requisite for attending a 201 Learning Cohort.
- A deposit of $100 is required to participate in a school-based cohort. Participants are encouraged to determine the value of the learning and pair that with their own level of economic privilege. Families that hold economic privilege are asked to pay the regular cohort price of $600 at registration. We accept payment plans and offer several scholarships for each cohort. We will not turn away anyone for lack of funds!
- Registration deadline: January 3rd, 2020. Within a few days after the deadline, participants will be sent the prerequisite homework assignment and an invitation to the online discussion group.