Portland Village School Cohort Launch (1st Mondays)
Tuesdays 6-7:30pm PST (Jan 11-Jun14) or Thursdays 6-7:30pm PST (Jan 13-Jun 16)
This Series One Targeted Cohort is for those who identify as “white” and who are part of the Portland Village School community. This cohort supports racial equity efforts by building a foundation of cultural identity, raising consciousness and learning to identify the role and presence of white dominance in the school setting. From there, focused attention is spent to develop skills to apply this learning in the raising and educating of children. This uniquely collaborative method of engagement over a period of six months serves counter to the dehumanizing programming of white dominance. Participants at all stages of their anti-racism journey have found this method to be impactful.
Before registering, please note:
- The Portland Village School Cohort will meet the following dates: January 7th, February 4th, March 4th, April 1st, May 6th, and June 3rd. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend all 6 of the in-person sessions and engage in homework assignments in between sessions. Sessions are set for 3 hour blocks of time and meet once per month.
- Childcare provided by Portland Village School. Dinner served via participant potluck.
- The Portland Village School Cohort is categorized as a Series One Learning Cohort and pre-requisite for attending a Series Two Learning Cohort.
- A deposit of $100 is required to participate. As we lean into our values, we have chosen to operate our business in a way that practices an active rejection of capitalism. We trust participants of the cohorts to make the decision of how much to pay for the learning received. We ask participants to balance the value of the learning personally received along with financial ability and support for our ongoing work. Participants are welcome to break up additional contribution over several payments, if desired. As a white facilitator, I’m conscious of concerns about me benefiting financially from this work. I am the only person in my immediate family that identifies as white and the income I make doing this work supports my family’s well-being. Additionally, I am a strong supporter of reparations and donate a minimum of 20% of all revenue to people of color outside of my family.
- Registration deadline for the Portland Village School Cohort is December 27th, 2018. Within a few days after the deadline, participants will be sent the prerequisite homework assignment and an invitation to the online discussion group.