Willapa Cohort (1A) Launch (1st Thursdays)
September 5 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
This 1A Learning Cohort is for those who identify as “white” and find themselves hungry for a deeper understanding about how race functions. A series of in-person sessions span over six months offering a uniquely collaborative method of engagement that serves counter to the dehumanizing programming of white dominance. Participants at all stages of their journey have found this method to be impactful.
Before registering, please note:
- The Willapa (1A) Cohort will meet the following dates: September 5th, October 3rd, November 7th, December 5th, January 2nd, and February 6th. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend all 6 of the in-person sessions and engage in homework assignments in between sessions. Sessions are set for 3 hour blocks of time and meet once per month.
- We ask participants to bring a snack to share with others. We will provide plates, utensils, and napkins.
- This cohort is categorized as a 1A Learning Cohort and pre-requisite for attending a 1B Learning Cohort.
- A deposit of $100 is required to participate. As we lean into our values, we have chosen to operate our business in a way that practices an active rejection of capitalism. We trust participants of the cohorts to make the decision of how much to pay for the learning received. In our industry, the typical cost to participate in a learning cohort of this length and depth would be around $500-$800. We ask participants to balance the value of the learning personally received along with financial ability and support for our ongoing work. Participants are welcome to break up additional contribution over several payments, if desired. As a white facilitator, I’m conscious of concerns about me benefiting financially from this work. I am the only person in my immediate family that identifies as white and the income I make doing this work supports my family’s well-being. Additionally, I am a strong supporter of reparations and donate a minimum of 20% of all revenue to people of color outside of my family.
- Registration deadline for the Willapa (1A) Cohort is August 22nd, 2019. Within a few days after the deadline, participants will be sent the prerequisite homework assignment and a login to the JORE website for homework discussion threads.